KUALA TERENGGANU: The authorities have been advised to put up signs along stretches of the Marang beach to warn beach-goers of poisonous jellyfish.

Dr Mohd Fazrul Hisam Abd Aziz, a senior lecturer in Fisheries Gear Technology and Fisheries Ecology at Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), suggested that red flags be put up along with the signs.

"The jellyfish are beautiful and attract attention but they are poisonous and their sting painful.

"Not many people who frequent the beaches know of this danger, " he said when commenting on media reports of the poisonous jellyfish found on Pulau Kekabu Beach in Marang by personnel from the Marang Civil Defence Force during a rescue exercise there.

Mohd Fazrul Hisam said anyone stung by a jellyfish must seek medical treatment at once.

"The victim can also apply vinegar on the sting to ease the pain but it is only first aid pending proper medical attention, " he said. - Bernama

Continue Reading

on The Star Online

Featured